[Rarebooks] FS: Whittier Book, SIGNED Handwritten Letter, and SIGNED Handwritten Quotation

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Oct 12 10:04:47 EDT 2022

WHITTIER, John Greenleaf. THE TENT ON THE BEACH And Other Poems with an
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) and an AUTOGRAPH QUOTATION SIGNED (AQS).
Boston: Ticknor & Fields, 1867. First Edition. Publisher's brick cloth.
BAL 21866: Binding B; mostly B points in text. Likely the Second
Printing, as usual. Pasted to the front endpaper is an envelope
containing a three-page handwritten letter on three sides of a 10" x 8"
sheet of paper folded into fours SIGNED by Whittier with his initials
and dated 1867, regarding the "The Palatine," a poem which appears on
page 90 of the book, giving background to the legend of "The Palatine
Light," an apparition reported near Block Island said to be the ghost
ship of a lost 18th-century vessel named the Palatine. The folklore
account is based on the historical wreck of the Princess Augusta in
1738, which became known as the Palatine in 19th-century accounts.
Whittier immortalized the legend in this, one of his best-known poems,
based on a tale the poet heard in 1865 from Newport resident Joseph P.
Hazard, whose family were key informants for collectors of 19th-century
New England folklore. Also tipped in opposite the page where it appears
is a MANUSCRIPT stanza from Whittier's poem "The Eternal Goodness,"
SIGNED in full: "I know not where His islands lift/Their fronded palms
in air;/I only know I cannot drift/Beyond His love and care." The
Stephen H. Wakeman copy with his bookplate on the front pastedown and
auction description pasted to the bottom of the front pastedown. Letter
has creases from mailing, the ink a bit faded; stain over a few letters
of the quote and the facing page; light wear to spine tips. At least
Very Good with interesting additions and a superb provenance.
(#021026)        $1,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021026/john-greenleaf-whittier/the-tent-on-the-beach-and-other-poems-with-an-autograph-letter-signed-als-and-an-autograph-quotation

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825