[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Walter Edmonds SIGNED Letter about Writing

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Wed Sep 21 17:04:29 EDT 2022

EDMONDS, Walter D. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Cambridge, MA, 4 March
1935. A 1-1/2-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED on two sheets of 8-1/2" x 11"
paper to a teacher, Carlton F. Wells, replying to his letter about a
story he has written: "It is a comforting thing to know that someone has
liked a story enough to go on reading it or using it in some way.... MY
LADY'S TEA was the third story I ever sold, and was written the year
after I graduated from College; and it seems to me that it has a
vitality and freshness that has gone. But since then I have been
learning the trade ... and I hope some of the eagerness will come back.
The trouble with writing is that you have to produce more than your
quality will allow, to make a living. And if you make money at some
other job, the quality suffers. And almost no writer has the nerve to
spend time on one thing to make it perfect as he can. Of course if you
have genius the troubles mentioned do not count. But I feel this very
keenly now when for two years I have been trying to digest and form and
make a story of the Revolution in pioneer New York." Much more. Creases
from mailing. Near Fine. (#020983)        $100

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020983/walter-d-edmonds/typed-letter-signed-tls

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825