[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce AUTOGRAPH LETTER from 17-year-old John Ruskin submitting a paper to the British Meteorological Society

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Sep 27 10:48:47 EDT 2022

RUSKIN, John. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Hernehill, 4 January 1837.
An early one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED "J Ruskin," written when he
was just 17 years old, on one panel of a 10" x 8" sheet folded in fours
addressed to W. H. White, Secretary of the British Meteorological
Society. In full: "I take the liberty of troubling you with the
accompanying papers [not present], as I am not aware of the manner in
which communications are usually presented to the Society. I shall be
highly gratified of the members of the Meteorological Society consider
these observations, for the accuracy of which I can answer, though of
their utility I am doubtful, as in any degree interesting." In a letter
to his father three days later, Ruskin wrote, "The Society would be much
better employed, instead of listening to anticipations which never will
be realised, and prophecies which the weather takes good care not to
fulfil, in as certaining the causes and effects of phenomena which have
actually taken place, or in perusing such scientific and interesting
communications as one which I sent in to Mr. White, and which he says in
a note he will have great pleasure in laying before the Society at their
next meeting (to-morrow, Tuesday evening)" (THE LETTERS OF JOHN RUSKIN
1827 - 1889, from THE COMPLETE WORKS OF JOHN RUSKIN, Library Edition
1909, Volume XXXVI, page 10). "[The paper was 'On the Formation and
Colour of such Clouds as are caused by the Agency of Mountains.' It was
not printed" (ibid). Ruskin, throughout his life, was interested in
geology and meteorology, and in his writings he contributed to the
environmental aspect of climate science, the moral concept that human
beings should not pollute the environment, which could have consequences
for local and even global climate. In an article Ruskin would write two
years later for the Society (“Remarks on the Present State of
Meteorological Science,” TRANSACTIONS OF THE METEOROLOGICAL SOCIETY
London 1 (1839): pages 56–59), he argued for universal cooperation: "The
Meteorological Society ... has been formed, not for a city, nor for a
kingdom, but for the world." Accompanied by a carte-de-visite photograph
of Ruskin. As far as we can determine, this letter is unpublished.
Creases from mailing; minor soiling. Very Good. (#020968)        $2,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/020968/john-ruskin/autograph-letter-signed-als

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825