[Rarebooks] fa: MICHEL DE MONTAIGNE - ESSAYS OF MONTAIGNE - Charles Cotton's translation - 1700

ArCh ardchamber at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 13 10:27:15 EDT 2023

Auctions ending Sunday, March 19. Images and more details can be found at the URL below or by searching for the seller name arch_in_la.

https://tinyurl.com/2n9v76rr

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Michel de Montaigne; Charles Cotton (trans.): Essays of Michael seigneur de Montaigne. In three books. With Marginal Notes and Quotations, and an Account of the Author's Life. With a short Character of the Author and Translator, by a Person of Honour. Made English by Charles Cotton, Esq. The Third Edition, with the Addition of a Compleat Table to each Volume, and a full defence of the Author. London: Printed for M. Gillyflower and W. Hensman in Westminster-Hall [et al], 1700. Three volumes, 8vo (18 cm), in early/period paneled calf, neatly rebacked in later calf with raised bands and lettering gilt, endpapers refreshed; [56], 555, [5] p.; [6], 728, [48] p.; [4], 352, 351-461, 460-559, [45] p.; with the publisher's adverts at the rear of vol. I, and engraved portrait frontispieces to vols. I and II. Wing M2481; ESTC R17025.

An early printing of Cotton's translation of Montaigne first published in 1685. This copy extra-illustrated with two portrait frontispieces (only one is called for in ESTC). Bindings with some rubbing and wear to the edges and corners, the corners of vol. I professionally repaired; contents mildly toned, with scattered spotting and light offsetting, otherwise clean and sound, firmly bound. Rear paste-down with the bookbinder's label of "M. E. Thorpe. Bronze and Silver Medalist, London City & Guilds," presumably the binder responsible for the rebacking. A very good, clean copy.