[Rarebooks] FS: John Tyler Letter to His Son Discussing the Attempted Assassination of President Andrew Jackson

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Oct 3 09:16:14 EDT 2023

TYLER, John. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED to His Son Discussing the Attempted
Assassination of President Andrew Jackson. Washington DC, 23 February
1835. Superb two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED "John Tyler" to his son on
one integral 15-3/4" x 9-7/8" sheet of stationery folded to make four
7-7/8" x 9-7/8" pages with one page serving as the Free Frank envelope
SIGNED "J. Tyler." Addressed to "My Son" (Robert Tyler), he encourages
Robert about making a public speech in order to graduate, discusses the
recent assassination attempt against President Andrew Jackson, and
concludes with remarks about personal and professional success. In part:
"I am sorry to learn through your last letter that you entertained
difficulties about graduating in consequence of the necessity which it
would impose on you to make a speech publickly.... The undivided honor
is certainly calculated to render it the more distinguished-- It affords
you also an opportunity for a more elaborate essay.... I hope therefore
that you will attempt no compromise with the Professors but press
forward to the full and complete discharge of the whole task.... It
seems that charges are afloat against Poindexter [Jackson's political
foe, Senator George Poindexter of Mississippi] of having had some
connection with Lawrence the man who attempted to assassinate the
President and that the President had procured criminating affidavits
from three persons-- Poindexter brought the thing before the Senate and
a Committee of five was appointed to investigate it-- If true he
deserves to be hung-- if false his accusers would disgrace the gallows--
Being on the Committee it would be improper in me to express an opinion
in advance-- but it is sufficiently mortifying to find such a spirit
prevailing in the highest places.... [The committee concluded there was
no connection between Poindexter and Lawrence.] I am glad to find you so
much opposed to being in debt-- Your speculations about my future
success are mere speculations-- Every man should aspire to attain
eminence-- The great end of existence should be to curb that passions
and never to render ourselves up to this influence-- This is the true
philosophy-- and after all happiness is more frequently the inmate of
the cottage than the palace." SIGNED "Yr Father, John Tyler." With
transcription and a newspaper clipping of Robert Tyler's obituary from
1877. Creases, small tape repair, chipping to edges, small hole at
center above red wax seal with no loss of text. Very Good.

John Tyler was the tenth president of the United States and the first
vice president to succeed to the presidency upon the death of William
Henry Harrison who died 31 days after taking office. He was elected to
the Confederate House of Representatives in November 1861. When he died
the following year, Jefferson Davis held a lavish funeral, draping a
Confederate flag over Tyler's coffin. To this day, Tyler remains the
only U.S. president not to be buried beneath the American flag.
Amazingly, he has a grandson who is still alive. (#021481)        $8,500

https://www.charlesagvent.com/pages/books/021481/john-tyler/autograph-letter-signed-to-his-son-discussing-the-attempted-assassination-of-president-andrew

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional: $12.00 for the first item; $6.00 for each thereafter for

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825