[Rarebooks] For Sale: Nicolette Gray: XIXth Century Ornamented Type and Title Pages

info at johnhowellforbooks.com info at johnhowellforbooks.com
Mon Mar 11 14:07:48 EDT 2024

Offered Today:

Nicolette Gray (1911-1997).

XIXth Century Ornamented Types and Title Pages.

London: Faber and Faber Limited, (1951).

8vo. 8 3/4 x 5 3/4 inches. 213 pp. Half-title, examples of decorative
initials throughout, 8 plates, illustrations of early ornamented types,
Old Face, Transitional Fat Face and Modern Face, Fat Face, Fat Face
Italic, Fat Face Black, etc., chart of ornamental types, index; text
clean, unmarked. Gray cloth, spine title blocked in red, top edge
stained red; binding square and tight, boards a bit bowed. Mel Kavin's
copy. KJH1123-067. Very Good.

$40 plus $4 Media Mail, ordered through my website

SECOND IMPRESSION, first impression 1938. Records the variety of
nineteenth-century types, along with the approximate date when each
example was introduced. Also focuses on the development of the Victorian
title page. Includes a list of type-founders' specimen books.

11 copies of the 1951 impression in OCLC; the first impression is much
better represented institutionally.

https://www.johnhowellforbooks.com/product/5769

Subject to prior sale.

Trade courtesy can be arranged by email or phone.

PayPal or credit card purchases available through the website. Checks
accepted via advance arrangement.

Returns for any reason, if arranged with me within 15 days of receipt.

John Howell
310 367-9720