[Rarebooks] FICHTE - Das System der Sittenlehre...

Schaberg at aol.com Schaberg at aol.com
Mon Feb 23 16:45:53 EST 2004

JOHANN GOTTLIEB FICHTE, Das System der Sittenlehre nach den Principien der
Wissenschaftslehre, (The System of a Theory of Ethics as Based on the Science of
Knowledge). Christian Ernst Gabler, Jena und Leipzig, 1798. FIRST EDITION.

$750.

TP + [I]-XVIII + [XIX]-[XX] = Publisher's notices + [XXI-XXII] = Inhalt +
[1]-494, small Octavo. FIRST EDITION. (Lauth/Jacob 36; Baumgartner/Jacobs A1.36x)
Contemporary pasteboards with gold-lettered label on spine. Spine edges, top
and bottom are worn but overall a well preserved and very presentable binding.
Internally a very good copy.

"The practical [side of his system] was expounded in the 'Foundation of
Natural Right', c. 1796, and the 'System of a Theory of Morals', 1798" (PMM, p.
147).

"But Fichte was very far from concentrating exclusively on the theoretical
deduction of consciousness. He laid great stress on the moral end of the
development of consciousness or, in more concrete terms, on the moral purpose of
human existence. And we find him publishing in 1796 the Basis of Natural Right
(Grundlage de Naturrechts) and in 1798 The System of Ethics (Das System der
Sittenlehre). Both subjects are said to be treated 'according to the principles of
the theory of science'... But the works are much more than mere appendages to
the Wissenschaftslehre. For they display the true character of Fichte's
philosophy, that is, as a system of ethical idealism." (Copelston, 7, I, p. 52)

PHOTOS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST

William H. Schaberg
Athena Rare Books
424 Riverside Drive
Fairfield CT 06824 USA

ph: 203-254-3125
fax: 203-254-3518
schaberg at aol.com

All items are offered subject to prior sale. All items are guaranteed as
described. We are willing to hold items for seven days. Items for any reason
unsatisfactory may be returned within ten days of receipt, with prior notice. Any
returns must be well packaged and sent in a traceable manner. Additional
insurance is not required for a return shipment. We accept checks (in U.S. currency)
and wire transfers. Connecticut residents please add appropriate sales tax.
Payment in advance is required for first time clients. We can offer deferred
billing to institutions. Shipping is not included in the book price. Minimum
domestic ground shipping is $5.00, with larger orders at cost. International air
and surface shipments at cost. Title to all material remains with Athena Rare
Books until receipt of payment in full.