[Rarebooks] fs: 1797- Navy & Marine Corps established, Alien & Sedition Acts...

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jan 28 19:48:28 EST 2004

ACTS PASSED AT THE 1st (2nd and 3rd) SESSION
OF THE 5th CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATEs.

Philadelphia: William Ross: 1797.

A busy and important Congressional year. Includes the establishment of the
Navy Department and the Marine Corps, the Post Office and Postmaster
General...

the Alien & Sedition Acts...

an act establishing yet another frontier boundary line over which settlers
shall not cross...

the act "to cause the frigates 'United States', 'Constitution' and
'Constellation' to be manned and employed"

the establishment of the government in the Mississippi Territory...

also-

War with France looms as Congress votes to suspend all commercial
intercourse and abrogate all treaties with France, allow US merchant
vessels to defend themselves against "French depredations", and allows US
war vessels to board and capture French warships as well as authorizing
privateers; there is also a text of the Peace Treaty with Tripoli; the
Treaty with the Cherokee Indians; and a printing of the Constitution as
well as the twelve amendments proposed, ten of which would become ratified
as the "Bill of Rights".

Hardcover. 5"x8.25", 561 + 26 + [iv] + [50] pages; bound in period calf
with a leather spine label and the number "4" on the spine. Covers
scuffed, contents with minor soil and a little spotting, a few chips.
[01821]  $500.00

____________________________
Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com