[Rarebooks] FS: Robert McNamara Inscribed to William Bundy

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Oct 25 10:26:26 EDT 2004

 From our internet-only Fall Catalogue of 84 New Arrivals now posted on
our web site.  It includes several interesting items from William
Bundy's library, several books signed by D. H. Lawrence, a run of Rivers
of America books mostly in very nice condition, fine leatherbound sets
including Mark Twain, a few interesting baseball items, and others.  All
of the items are listed at http://www.erols.com/agvent  Please be sure
to refresh your browser if you have not been to our site in some time.

[McNAMARA,  Robert]  KAUFMANN, William W.  THE  McNAMARA
       STRATEGY  Inscribed by Robert McNamara to William Bundy.  New
       York: Harper  &  Row (1968). First Edition. Early  not  first
       printing.  A  special  copy bound in full blue  leather  with
       gilt decorations  and  lettering, marbled endpapers, and  all
       edges gilt.  INSCRIBED by Robert McNamara to William Bundy on
       28 October  1964: "To Bill, with my admiration/and thanks for
       his contributions/to        what      is       called     the
       'McNamara/Strategy.'/Bob McNamara." William Bundy had a long,
       distinguished  service  in the government in the CIA  and  in
       the Defense  Department. He was appointed Assistant Secretary
       of State  for Far Eastern Affairs in March 1964 reporting  to
       the Secretary  of  Defense,  McNamara. His  brother  McGeorge
       Bundy was  Special Assistant for National Security Affairs to
       Kennedy  and  Johnson  from 1961-1966.  Both  are  considered
       primary  architects of America's involvement in Vietnam. Days
       before  this  book was inscribed to him, on 19 October  1964,
       William  Bundy issued one of the most important memos on  the
       conflict,  "The  Choices We Face in Vietnam,"  rejecting  the
       expectations  of the domino theory about the consequences  of
       a Communist    victory  in   Southeast   Asia,   consequently
       rejecting  much  of the political basis for U.S  policy,  and
       arguing  for  negotiating  a   settlement.  On  November  23,
       McNamara  and  Secretary of State Dean Rusk rejected  Bundy's
       ideas.  In  THE  BEST  AND THE  BRIGHTEST,  David  Halberstam
       stated  that during the Kennedy and Johnson  administrations,
       William  Bundy's  name "would probably be on more  pieces  of
       paper dealing  with  Vietnam  over a seven-year  period  than
       anyone  else's."  A superb association copy inscribed  at  an
       important  point  in  the war. Small hole on one  page.  Near
       Fine in Very Good dustwrapper.                       $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent