[Rarebooks] FS - Harry Price/Occult - signed

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Mon Feb 7 12:26:59 EST 2005

PRICE, Harry. /CONFESSIONS OF A GHOST-HUNTER/. Bound in original black
cloth with gilt spine lettering. Illustrated by black-and-white
photographs. Putnam, London. 1936. 1st edition, 8vo, pp. 396. Bds. very
lightly scuffed; else vg+ condition. Original dust jacket chipped at
edges and a bit worn at folds, else good+ condition.

A unique copy, INSCRIBED and dated (March 20, 1936) by Harry Price to
Major Gladstone Murray "who has accompanied me - in spirit - on some of
my adventures". Murray was the Director of Public Relations for the
British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). Price was a famous and
self-aggrandizing British investigator of psychic phenomena, and author,
who, in 1925, founded the National Laboratory of Psychical Research. He
contributed articles to various encyclopaedia, including an article on
"Faith and Fire-Walking" to the Encyclopaedia Britannica and a 1929
treatise on "Illusion" for the Enciclopedia Italiana.

In this volume, Price has collected the results of all his important
investigations, including chapters on attempts to communicate with Mars
by psychic means, "Pale Black Magic", stage telepathy and vaudeville
'phenomena', the Indian Rope Trick, a talking mongoose, curious claims
to mediumship, and the remarkable fire-walking tests conducted near
London in 1935. There are also chapters on "How to Test a Medium" and
"The Secrets of Spirit Photography". The dust jacket shows the original
published price. A scarce and unusual item.

Price:  $125.00.

Terms of Sale - The price is net in US funds. Payment by check or credit
card (MasterCard, VISA, AMEX). Postage and packing charge is $7 in North
America; $15 overseas (surface mail). Returnable within seven days of
receipt if not as described.

Trade Discount - Books offered for sale in these postings are usually
offered by us at a discount from the prices at which they will be listed
for sale on the usual out-of-print databases (e.g. Abebooks).
Consequently, the price indicated above is net to all, with no further
discounts being available. Notwithstanding, Greenfield Books does
reciprocate a discount to book dealers who are members of a national
association affiliated with the International League of Antiquarian
Booksellers (ILAB). We will also consider extending a discount to other
full time book dealers who advertise their books on-line, and whose
publicly stated Terms of Sale includes the offer of a trade discount.
However, any such discount is only applicable to books offered for sale
either at our web site (URL below), or on the aforementioned
out-of-print databases.

GREENFIELD BOOKS
Member: ABAC/ILAB and
The Ephemera Society of America