[Rarebooks] FS: Baseball/Photography/Fine Press book

Isabel's Books mclcbooks at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 23:55:45 EST 2005

For Sale:

Melchert, Jim. A Scratch on the Negative. Oakland, Calif.: Crown Point Press, c1974. Oblong folio (13 ¼ inches tall by 17 ½ inches wide). Black paper-covered boards. [22] pages. FINE.

Melchert, former chair of the art department at the University of California, Berkeley, former head of Visual Arts at the NEA, and former director of the American Academy at Rome, is perhaps best known for his broken-tile artworks. In this book, he has taken a single image, of a New York Yankees player (#25, presumably Mickey Mantle) tagging (or attempting to tag) out Lou Brock, and has presented nine images, progressively more narrowly focused, with the ultimate image just a series of dots, resembling a photo of stars.  A limited edition of 25 copies, ten of which are artist’s proofs. This is one of those ten. Signed by Melchert on the colophon and inscribed by Melchert on the title page.  Photographic plates by Ron Greenberg. Etchings printed by Patricia Branstead. Letterpress by Deward Drollinger. Binding by the Schuberth Bookbindery. A stunning production, equally desirable for aficionados of fine press, baseball, photography, and artist’s books. In a mylar protective cover.

$600.00 postpaid.

Terms of sale:  All items are offered subject to prior sale.  Quoted shipping is media rate in the United States. For other methods of shipping, contact me for a price.  I accept payment by credit card (Mastercard or Visa), check, money order, or Paypal.  All items may be returned for any reason within 10 days of receipt.  If you do choose to return something, please pack it carefully and notify me before shipping.

Michael

Isabel's Books
mclcbooks at yahoo.com
http://www.abebooks.com/home/mclc/

Member, Independent Online Booksellers' Association (IOBA)
http://www.ioba.org