[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Melville Item: Charles Olson's first book CALL ME ISHAMEL Inscribed to Michael Sadleir

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Jan 17 10:01:22 EST 2006

OLSON, Charles CALL ME ISHMAEL
Reynal & Hitchcock New York (1947) First Edition of author's first book, a study
of Melville's MOBY DICK. This copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author "for
Michael Sadleir/who, so early, made Melville/available again to men/With my deep
respect/to him/Charles Olson/Washington,/May, 1948." Sadleir--publisher, author,
book collector-- was responsible, along with Raymond Weaver, for the
resuscitation of Melville's career. Not only did he produce the first
bibliography of Melville, he also helped produce the first complete collected
edition of Melville's works, the Constable Edition of the 1920s which marked the
first publication of BILLY BUDD.  Very Good in dustwrapper with some chipping.
Superb association!   $2500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $10.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent