[Rarebooks] FA: Gas Warfare in World War I

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Fri May 5 09:29:33 EDT 2006

Offering two books for auction on the subject of Gas Warfare in the First
World War. Offered with no reserves, because I had beans for lunch (you
knew I was going to say that, right?).

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

"GAS AND FLAME IN WORLD WAR I"  By William L. Sanger. Published by Alfred
A. Knopf in 1965.  This company history follows the men of Company E, 1st
Gas Regiment through training, across the ocean, and into the trenches of
France where they fought the last months of the First World War.
Sanger's book was originally published in an extremely limited edition for
the members of Company E in 1919, using left-over Company funds. This
reprint includes a new introduction by the author.

"AN ATLAS OF GAS POISONING"  By the Medical Research Committee. "Provided
for the American Expeditionary Force by the American Red Cross" in 1918.  A
dramatic and compelling document from World War One. This illustrated study
treats two types of gas -Phosgene and "Mustard" gas, and the gases' effects
on various parts of the body. The paintings were made from actual cases,
and the case histories and their outcomes are described in some
detail.  The illustrations themselves are rather graphic, and there are
several that cannot be shown here because of the parts of the body they
illustrate.  The report was noted as for "Official Use Only", with the
further note that the "contents must be regarded as confidential and not to
be communicated to the press."

<http://tinyurl.com/nlnlx>

- - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "Spring" catalog-
<http://joslinhall.com/catalog_273.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.