[Rarebooks] For Sale - Meisterwerke of German Art, Volumes I & II

bookmaven bookmaven at comcast.net
Sun May 14 12:58:55 EDT 2006

For your consideration:
Meisterwerke of German Art, Volumes I & II, by Carl Thonet Jutsum, George
Barrie, Boston, 1883-4:
Magnificent volumes of German works; tipped in engravings, on heavy white
matting paper, folio sized. Volume I, covers the early German Schools
Including Dutch and Flemish, referencing the earliest of frescos to have
been executed for Queen Theodolinda in the 6th century, and the
Carlovingians start of Teutonic Art, to the earliest of Christian art;
following through to the styles of the 13th century, and 14th when styles
became purer and more skillful. The principal artists of 'Bohemia" being
Nicholas Wurmser, of Strasburg Kunz and Theodoric of Prague. Through to the
Revival period. Both volumes have a running detailed narrative of the
periods their history, artists, influences by the Church and society, and
ruling principals; use of and creation of materials, etc. Sampling of full
page etchings and line engravings, (121 engravings on Wood & Facsimiles, 51
Etchings and Line engravings tipped-in: Volume I, tipped in plates:  Death
Riding through a Harvest Landscape, Arnold Bucklin, engraver, Hecht, W.;
Goethe's Fifth Roman Elegy, Friederich J.H. Drake, L. Schulz; The Children's
Concert, Anselm Feuerbach, Karl Krautle; Lady With Parrot, Franz Von Mieris,
John Burger; Mary Stuart Listening to the Order of Her Execution, Carl
Theodor von Piloty, Doris Raab; The Hunt, Rudolf F. Henneberg, Wilhem
Krauskopf; Portrait of The Emperor Maximilian I, Albrecht Durer, V. Jasper;
Old Athens From the Garden of Venus, Joseph Hoffman, Edward Willmann;
Portrait of Lady Seymour, Hans Holbein, The Younger; Carl Edward Buchel; The
Jewish Bride, Ryn van Rembrandt, William Unger, and many others.  Volume
II., Covers, begins with the Great Revival period and development of the
national art, which took place in all the capitals of Germany, in the years
between 1810 and 1840; through to the 'Contemporary' German School of
Painting, which was many sided and divided up geographical as well as
aesthetically; from the Adriatic to the Baltic. Ranging from the genre of
miniature sized works, considered to be cheap illustrations to the immense
frescoes of the Ludwigskirche or Palace at Berlin, which extended from
quarto illustration to folios. The narration covers the various geographical
influences, exhibits, and areas stated in Volume II. 91 Engraving on wood
and facsimiles; 52 etchings, line engravings & Lichtdruck (photo-mechanical
planographic printing to the rendition of halftones without rasters as well
as in the photography a photolithographic procedure, which was developed
1856 by Adolphe Louis Poitevin under the designation Collotypie): A sampling
of works: The Flamingo Hunters, Johann, Canon, engraved by Johann Karl;
Venetian Taylor Shop, Eugene B. Blaas, William Unger; The Monk, Franz
Lenbach, W. Hecht; Haspinger, Alois Gabl, Carl Rauscher; The Empress of
Austria, Emil Adam, (Lichtdruck);  In The Gallery, Adolph Mesel, Johann
Klaus; Bismarck or Moltke?, Gustav Karl Hellquist, J. Holzapf'l; A Wolf In
The Thicket, Otto von Thoren, William Unger; Japanese Lady, Bruno E. U.
Piglhein, (Lichtdruck); Goose Market in Cracow, Alois Schonn, William Unger;
Marietta Da Napoli, Hans Meyer, (Original Etching); The Peasant and Broker,
Benjamin Vautier, Johann J. Burger. Over 370 artists mentioned or
represented in both volumes.
Bound in three quarter calf, over brown pebbled cloth boards. Rubbed to
extremities, front joints to both volumes repaired, volume I front cloth
wrinkled, rear cloth wrinkled torn & bunched at leather edge, bad repair.
Pale white marks to lower front board.Five bands to spine, bright gilt title
and volume number. Pages 57- 59 Vol. I., have very pale spotting, not plate
pages, Vol. II: 1 inch closed tear to lower edge of one tissue guard, and
slight chip to lower edge of Mother Love tissue guard. Last 20 pages have
toning effect stain to lower corner, not water. Marbled end papers, 1/4 inch
chip to e.p. upper edge volume II. Small old ex-libris decorative plates to
pastedown, both volumes. All edges bright gilt. Volumes are very tightly
bound, pages except where noted, clean and bright. These books are extremely
heavy, please inquire about post.  A compendium of  important and
influential painters, their works and influences..  Folio, 144, 134 pp. Will
provide a variety of  digitals. Very Good +, $2,500.00.
Thank you for looking,
Michelle Levick
Bookmaven, Inc.
http://www.bookmaven.net
Seller & Buyers of Antiquarian, Out-of-Print Literature
Accepting: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover,
Paypal, Money Orders
Discounts on Multiple purchases.
Ventnor NJ 08406
(609) 822-4993