[Rarebooks] FA: 1853- Mississippi Valley Exploration

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Sat Feb 3 18:31:22 EST 2007

Endling Sunday evening, no reserve-
<http://tinyurl.com/384jdy>

“HISTORY OF THE VALLEY OF THE MISSISSIPPI” By Adolphus M. Hart. Published
by Moore, Anderson, Wilstach & Keys, Cincinnati: 1853.

“History of the Valley of the Mississippi” is an account of the French
discovery and the colonization of the area west of the Alleghenies and
stretching from Canada to New Orleans, from the mid 17th century to the
early 19th century.

Beginning with the forays of French missionaries into the Canadian woods,
the text covers:

- The early exploration of northwest Canada and the upper Mississippi
River by La Salle and Hennepin.

- The founding and Settlement of New Orleans.

- The explorer’s and settler’s Interactions with Native Americans,
including the five nations of the Iroquois Confederacy, Chief Pontiac, the
Hurons, Ottowas, Chippewas, Osage, Miamies, Alabamas and Choctaws, among
others.

- Acadian immigration to the Gulf Coast

- The effects of European wars and the War of 1812 on the area, and
battles fought in the Mississippi Valley.

- The interactions of the French, Spanish and British, with their colonies
and their interactions with each other concerning their colonies.

Hart writes with typical nineteenth century hyperbole, but unlike many
nineteenth century writers, he is refreshingly concise.

<http://tinyurl.com/384jdy>

See all our current auctions-
<http://stores.ebay.com/Joslin-Hall-Books>

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

JANUARY, 2007
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_292.htm>

FOLK ARTS, AMERICANA & CHINA TRADE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_291.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.