[Rarebooks] (no subject)

Laderman zita at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 5 22:13:59 EST 2007

HART, MOSES: MODERN RELIGION By Mose Hart. New York, Printed for the
author. 1818. 12mo, 58, [4] Pp. This is the  first publication of a
Canadian Jew. It presents an alternative to sectarian religion which
is meant to be a Universal religion. He has exemplary prayers, and
ceremonies and their dates and purposes. At the end in he identifies
himself as a Canadian Jew. This copy, at that point is stamped with
his personal stamp. On OCLC I have found 101 electronic copies, but
no paper ones. Amicus web notes a copy at the National Library in
Ottawa.Ordinarily I would discard this copy because, it would seem in
passion, someone has ripped out pages 46-53. Another page has  a
tear, but no loss, and the preliminaries and final pages have edge
chips, affecting no text. Disbound, including half title. This is
apparently the second known copy of a significant work for scholars
of religion, and the earliest known printed work by a Canadian Jew.
Pages which remain are Good.  $750.00

ZITA BOOKS / NEW YORK, N.Y. / G. LADERMAN
telephone: 212-866-4715  email:zita at speakeasy.net

http://www.antiqbook.com/zitabooks/

Carriage billed at cost. Payment in US dollar check or bank transfer required.
Credit cards accepted for payment through paypal. Institutions
billed, and items
shipped, invoiced. The usual trade discounts offered.  Prices here quoted take
precedence over any earlier listing.