[Rarebooks] FS: Lowell Thomas Inscribed to Eddie Rickenbacker

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Jun 13 10:11:08 EDT 2007

 From our recent AVIATION & SPACE Catalogue posted on our website:
http://www.erols.com/agvent
It contains 57 items including a selection of books from the library of
leading World War I Ace Eddie Rickenbacker, as well as books signed by
Neil Armstrong, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh, and Antoine Saint
Exupery, and some interesting 19th century aviation material.

THOMAS, Lowell (RICKENBACKER, Eddie). EUROPEAN SKYWAYS. THE  STORY
OF  A TOUR OF EUROPE BY AIRPLANE. Boston: Houghton Mifflin 1927. First
Edition.  Illustrated with photographs. This copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED
by  the  author on the half-title page: "Dear Eddie  Rickenbacker/Best
wishes  for many long/years of high adventure./Cordially  yours/Lowell
Thomas/Pawling  N.Y." Medal of Honor-winning World War I aviator Eddie
Rickenbacker  first gained fame in the formative years of auto  racing
as  a  driver.  Before  owning and operating  the  Indianapolis  Motor
Speedway,  he  participated in some of the first 500-mile  races  held
there  finishing in tenth place in 1914. Rickenbacker flew a total  of
300  combat hours, reportedly more than any other U.S. pilot in  World
War  I, and his 26 victories as a pilot constituted an American record
that  stood  until  World  War  II.  After  the  war,  he  started  an
unsuccessful  automobile  company,  but   his  most  lasting  business
endeavor  was  his  lifelong  leadership of Eastern  Air  Lines  which
Rickenbacker    transformed   from  a  small   airline  to   a   major
international  transportation company. According to a typed note  from
Rickenbacker's  son  laid  into the book, his father and  Thomas  were
friends  since  the Elgin, IL road races in 1911. Very  Good,  lacking
the dustwrapper.                                               $150.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent