[Rarebooks] FS: John Luard, VIEWS IN INDIA (1838)

Kaaterskill Books books at kaaterskillbooks.com
Thu Feb 18 16:00:34 EST 2010

We offer for sale from our new catalogue:

Luard, John. VIEWS IN INDIA, SAINT HELENA AND CAR NICOBAR. DRAWN FROM
NATURE AND ON STONE. London: [J. Graf, printer to Her Majesty],
[1838]. Unpaged. Illus. with lithographic title and 60 lithographic
plates mounted on india paper. Folio (350 x2 60 mm). First edition.
Not in Abbey.

Bound by Harrison Bookbinder (Pall Mall, small stamp to front blank)
in contemporary half crimson morocco over red cloth boards, spine
tooled and lettered in gilt, five raised bands.

Major John Luard (1790-1875) had a distinguished military career,
serving both as a Lieutenant at Waterloo and as a Captain at Bhurt-
pore in 1825, but he also possessed considerable artistic talent as
did the rest of his family, and is "considered one of the most
talented of the many amateur artists who depicted India" (see 'India
Observed: India as Viewed by British Artists,' Victoria & Albert
Mus., 1982, pp. 142-43). In 1822 he met Fanny Parks on shipboard and
later she wrote in her journal on 4 August 1833 "I have just received
a present of the first number of Colonel Luard's most beautiful views
of India; how true they are! his snake-catchers are the very people
themselves," (Parks, Fanny. Wanderings of a Pilgrim in Search of the
Picturesque, 1850, Vol. I, p. 279). For this volume "the enormous
expense of line engraving" induced Luard "to draw them himself upon
stone." Contains numerous views of the Taj, Delhi, native peoples, as
well as plates of military and Indian costume. Because the work was
composed over a long period of time and used multiple printers (the
plates were printed by C. Hullmandel; Maguire, Lemercier & Co.;
Maguire & Co.; and Graf & Soret), it is rarely found complete with
all 60 plates. It was incomplete in each last three times it was at
auction in England (54, 47, and 48 plates respectively). Provenance:
William Backwell Tyringham (bookplate); A. J. Combridge, Bombay and
Madras, the publishers (neat stamp to verso of front free endpaper).
Moderate foxing to text leaves and plate mounts; boards rubbed with
some discoloration and a few gouges to front board, spine with a few
minor chips, edge wear, still a very good copy.  [35878] $5250.00

A few images can be found at:
www.kaaterskillbooks.com/img/35878.jpg
www.kaaterskillbooks.com/img/35878boardslg.jpg
www.kaaterskillbooks.com/img/35878a.jpg
www.kaaterskillbooks.com/img/35878snake.jpg

For more books on India see out just released Catalogue 12: Asia Part
IV: INDIA containing 331 items including views, early grammars,
travel & exploration, art, literature, and a large number of
scholarly offprints, periodicals, etc.

To view the catalogue (size: 1.8 mb) go to:

http://www.kaaterskillbooks.com/catalogues/Catalogue12.pdf

We will be happy to send images of any items.

A printed catalogue is available upon request.

Regards,

Charles Kutcher
Kaaterskill Books
P. O. Box 122
East Jewett, NY 12424
email: books at kaaterskillbooks.com
phone: 518-589-0555
www.kaaterskillbooks.com
Members ABAA/ILAB

TERMS:

Call or email us to reserve a book. We accept checks, money orders,
American Express, Mastercard, and Visa. Foreign orders should be in
U.S. funds on a U.S. bank. New York residents please add appropriate
sales tax or forward a tax id number. Libraries and Institutions can
be billed. Trade allowance. Postage for Domestic orders is $4.00 for
the first book and $1.50 for each additional volume. Books are
normally shipped Media Mail. For international orders, postage is
calculated individually. All books may be returned in original
condition for any reason within two weeks with prior notification.