[Rarebooks] fa:DUBOS - ON POETRY, PAINTING AND MUSIC (& THEATRE) - 1st Ed. 1748

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 09:16:40 EDT 2011

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, May 22. More details and images can
be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name
arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

[Jean-Baptiste Dubos:] Critical Reflections on Poetry, Painting and
Music. With an inquiry into the Rise and Progress of the Theatrical
Entertainments of the Ancients. Written in French by the Abbé Du Bos,
Member and perpetual Secretary of the French Academy. Translated into
English by Thomas Nugent, Gent. London: Printed for John Nourse, 1748.
FIRST EDITION. Three volumes, 8vos, in period calf, sympathetically
rebacked with gilt-tooled spines and morocco labels; 343, 410, 244 +
[42] pp.; w/ errata and publisher's adverts; woodcut decorations. ESTC
N3253.
Bumping and wear to the boards at the fore-edges and corners, cracking
to front inner hinge of vol. I, but all boards are firm and secure;
mild age-toning to the leaves, offsetting (darkening) to the edges of
the first and last 2-3 leaves of each vol. from the original binder's
glue on the paste-downs, occasional small spots and touches of
soiling; otherwise clean and sound, firmly bound. A handsome set.
Engraved armorial bookplates of Vincent J. Robinson, C.I.E., Parnham
[Dorset].

A sample of the wide-ranging and occasionally rather eccentric chapter
headings: Of the Genius which forms painters and poets; Of artists
without Genius; Of plagiaries; Of the obstacles which retard the
progress of young artists; Of the extent of climates fitter for the
arts and sciences than others; That the difference we observe in the
genius of people of the same country in different ages, must be
attributed to the variations of the air; Of the manner in which the
reputation of poets and painters is established; That the public
judgements prevail at length over the decisions of artists; Of the
errors which persons are liable to, who judge of a poem by
translation, or by the remarks of critics; That the beauties of
execution only cannot render a poem a finished piece, tho' they can a
picture; That we are more affected with tragedy than comedy; Of the
personages of villains that may be introduced into tragedies; Whether
it is proper to intermix love in tragedies; Of the choice of comic
subjects; Some remarks on pastoral  poetry, and on the shepherds of
eclogues; Remarks on Epic poetry; That the subject of painters are not
exhausted; That the painters of Raphael's time had no advantage over
those of our days; Whether the effect which painting produces on men
be greater than that of poetry; Of Music, properly so called; Some
reflections on Italian music; Of Sculpture; General idea of the
ancient music; Of the masks of ancient comedians; etc., etc.

Jean-Baptiste Dubos, aka l'Abbe Du Bos, (1670-1742) was a French
diplomat and secret agent who retired from political life and became a
respected historian and man of letters and a member of the Académie
Française. His major work, Réflexions critiques sur la poésie et sur
la peinture, here presented in its first edition in English, was
remarkable for its scope as well as its "sagacity and discrimination,"
and was highly praised by Voltaire.