[Rarebooks] FS: Zane Grey Family Letters

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 7 09:48:03 EST 2013

Like us on Facebook to receive occasional offers and discounts
(including a phenomenal discount on this group of letters), to see
advance listings, and to see our postings:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charles-Agvent-Rare-Books-Autographs/178493012195470

GREY, Zane. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his wife. New York, March
1908. A three-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED as "Pearl" (Grey was born
Pearl Zane Gray) to his wife "Dolly" on three sheets of illustrated New
Grand Hotel stationery with envelope postmarked March 1908. Grey
discusses his rotten position: "I'm afraid I can't have Outing publish
my book until everybody's got good and ready to let me.... And I, like
an idiot signed that paper, which legally gives them the right to my
photographs. Why didn't you or Murphy see that? If they don't choose to
use the story & pictures I can't get the book published at all. It's
most damnably sickening. I don't know what to do.... For a measly little
hundred dollars I have about queered my chances.... Murphy says it will
work out allright [sic]. I hope so, but tonight I can't see anything but
black. Will be on the mountain tomorrow." Zane Grey decided to become a
writer just five years before this letter when he wrote a fishing story
that appeared in RECREATION MAGAZINE. Outing published Grey's third
book, THE LAST OF THE PLAINSMEN, in 1908 complete with Grey's
photographs. It was based on a trip Grey made out West with Col.
"Buffalo" Jones in 1907. This trip was the turning point in Grey's life,
but his book about Jones and his experiences in the Grand Canyon was not
successful. It would be a few more years before Grey became a success
with RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE. An outstanding early letter revealing
the torment of a struggling writer. Folds from mailing, still about
Fine, with envelope. (#014024)        $1,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014024.jpg

GREY, Zane. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his wife. Long Key, FL, 29
Jan. 1912. A one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED as "Doc" to his wife
"Dolly" with fine content on Florida East Coast Hotel Co./Long Key
Fishing Camp stationery with envelope. In full: "It sure is hunting my
forgotten birthday! Let's see. I'll be 38. Gee! I feel old. But maybe
its this damned languorous climate. I've been eating too much, also.
There isn't any news. The sun shines, the winds blow, and time flies.
I'll be home soon again. I have not been fishing yet. This matter of
work begins to drag on me. If I don't work I'm unhappy. Yesterday I
wrote some of the scenario of the play. I've somehow lost confidence
since I read that play book. But things will come to a head soon. I'm
glad for this past week. I seem to be my old self again. Aren't you
glad? I'd appreciate a letter from you occasionally. You'll be mad when
you see that all this fat [?] letter is not a love letter to you. With
love to all, Doc." Superb letter mentioning his two loves--fishing and
writing--addressed to his other love. Folds from mailing, still about
Fine, with envelope. (#014025)        $1,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014025.jpg

GREY, Zane. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his son. Roseburg, OR, 25
June 1935. A fine two-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED as "Dad" to his son
Romer on colorful Zane Grey Camp stationery with envelope. In part:
"I've been gone 10 days, and have received only one wire from home. No
letters! Pyramid Lake was the bunk. It's all right for big shots who are
dumb, but not for me. There were some peachy divorcees there.... We
trolled for hours - for nothing.... You should always be sure of your
ground before you steer anyone up against anything.... We are here in
camp, and it's lovely.... No fish yet. The river is about 18 inches
high, and sure is hell. There are a few steelhead coming up, so we hear.
But I haven't seen any.... By July 15 fishing should be good." Folds
from mailing, still about Fine, with envelope. (#014026)        $1,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014026.jpg

GREY, Zane. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his son. Liverpool. A
one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED as "Dad" to his son Romer on Hotel
Mersey letterhead, written in dark pencil. A full-page letter of
instructions on how to arrange his travel plans apparently to connect
with his father. Folds from mailing, still about Fine. (#014027)
$250.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014027.jpg

[GREY, Zane] GREY, Mrs. Zane. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to Zane Grey
from his wife. New York. A four-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED as "Dolly"
and addressed to "Doc," entirely in pencil. Mrs. Zane Grey discusses
being ill and being in New York with their children: "Amelias says N.Y.
reminds her of the Orange Co. Fair!" She mentions her developing
telepathic powers: "However, I better not tell you all this. You might
get frightened & never come home again. However, I can tell you this.
Somehow you never fall in my estimation because the contents of your
mind are clear to me.... Listen-- don't ever attempt to give away any of
the pictures of me with the children. You've given your friends about
everything that is mine, but you can't give them my picture.... I do
love you, dear. Don't ever forget it. It may have manifested itself in
peculiar ways at times, but I've stuck through thick & thin, & that's
the reason. Ever yours, Dolly." Also included are two typed letters from
Grey's publisher Harper & Brothers dated 1910 and 1915 regarding a
request for dramatic rights to THE HERITAGE OF THE DESERT and selling
copies of his novels. Folds from mailing, still about Fine. (#014023)
     $100.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014023.jpg
--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com