[Rarebooks] fa: NAPOLEON BONAPARTE - TWO COLORED BRITISH SATIRICAL PRINTS - 1803-1808

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 14 09:21:45 EST 2013

Listed now, auction ending SUNDAY, November 17. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/m3lhhlv

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

[NAPOLEON BONAPARTE:] Two contemporary hand-colored British satirical etchings related to Napoleon…

Leap Frog. [London:] Thomas Tegg, [ca. 1803]. Drawn by Raymond, etched by Percy Roberts. Napoleon is shown leaping over a fat Dutchman, a Spanish don and a Hanoverian, as he exclaims "…my next leap shall be over John Bull," who replies, "I'll be d---d if you do Master Corsican." Doubtless, the word "frog" was used in the derogatory sense. Measures 36.5 x 27.5 cm (ca. 14 1/2 x 10 7/8 in.). BM Satires 10023.

National Opinions on Bononaparte [sic]. London: Thomas Tegg, 1808. Etched by Charles Williams after George Moutard Woodward. Fifteen characters express the opinions of their respective countries re. Napoleon. Included are Egypt ("…I wish he was made a Mummy of!"), Spain, Italy ("I bow to him with submissive respect"), China, Germany, Prussia, France, Turkey, Russia ("I curse him one moment and am friends with him the next"), Sweden, Holland, Portugal, America ("Verrily the Spirit doth move me to shake hands"), Assia[sic], and England. Measures 39 x 27.5 cm (ca. 15 1/4 x 10 7/8 in.). BM Satires 10980.

Both etchings browned and dampstained; worming to the margins; the second with some worming within the image. Authentic period prints, not reproductions.