[Rarebooks] FS: 1880s Nikko Temples Preservation Society Application in our New Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed May 21 07:57:31 EDT 2014

 From our new Catalog, Bookin'! #10
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

  - - - - -

1880s Nikko Temples Preservation Society Application Form.

"Received from Mr.- the sum of __ contributed for the preservation fund
of Nikko Temples in the province of Shimotsuke, which sum will be
deposited with the banks according to the rules of the Society, and will
be added to the fund for repairs and maintenance of the said Temples. __
on behalf of Central Committee of Nikko Preservation Society. Day of __
month of __ year Meiji. (__ 188__.).

Printed in English on one side and Japanese on the other.

"Nikko city is about 75 miles north of Tokyo, near the mountains of
Tochigi Prefecture, and has long been a popular destination for both
Japanese and international tourists. Some of the more than 100 temples
were constructed in the 8th century, and today are listed as UNESCO
World Heritage Site Shrines. Nine of the temples are designated National
Treasures of Japan. Charlton Bristow Perkins, in his "Travels from the
Grandeurs of the West to Mysteries of the East" (San Francisco, 1909),
notes-"Nikko was chosen as the site for the most splendid temples of
Japan, and you will see there the finest creations of Japanese art in
combination with the loveliest examples of Japanese scenery." Several
guidebooks of the same period noted that membership in the Nikko
Preservation Society cost 5 yen and entitled the member to free entry to
all the temples.

DESCRIPTION & CONDITION: Single sheet. 6.25"x4.75". Minor soil, light
wear. [40416]

PRICE: $100

A PICTURE=>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images400/th-40416-cover.jpg>

See more items in our new Catalog, Bookin'! #10
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

- - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
   <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-10.pdf>

Our EMAIL LIST
   is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our BLOG-
   <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

  ~ ~ ~

TERMS:
All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments
outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are
notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for
full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25%
state sales tax.