[Rarebooks] FS: Discounted Water Street by Merrill, Signed Borges, Signed Seferis, Trollope

Allington Books allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:28:18 EDT 2014

Today we offer the following books at the prices specified below.  Postage
within the continental United States at no additional charge, elsewhere at
cost.

*Payment is due with purchase via PayPal Invoice*.

Multiple photographs are on ABE and Biblio and also are available by
request.

All items are subject to prior sale.

With Thanks for your consideration and

Best Wishes,

Stephen
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC

*Merrill, James*. *Water Street*. New York: Atheneum, 1962. First edition.
A Fine copy of the first edition, first printing (light rubbing to spine
lettering), in a Very Good + dust jacket (short tears to the front panel's
upper left corner, small chip to the rear panel's upper right corner,
slight loss at the spine head); James Merrill's third book of Poetry and
his scarcest trade publication. The book was simultaneously issued in
hardcover and in paperback, with the hardcover copies being by far the
scarcer of the two. Copies of the hardcover edition in a condition as nice
as is this copy are quite scarce. An altogether Near Fine copy of James
Merrill's scarcest trade publication. QUITE SCARCE INDEED. Fine in very
good + dust-jacket. Hardcover. (#00003663) *WAS* $*1,225.00    NOW $385*

*Borges, Jorge Luis*. *The Book of Sand* [*Signed Uncorrected Proof*] [El
libro de arena]. New York: E. P. Dutton, 1977. First edition. A Fine copy
of the Uncorrected Proof for the first US edition, in the Publisher's
original mustard wrappers (slight soil to the spine where a label may once
have been, prior seller's pencil notes to the half-title), SIGNED BY JORGE
LUIS BORGES on the half-title; a collection of 13 short stories, a book
which Borges wrote while blind and considered to be his best work. Of "The
Book of Sand" he stated: "I have wanted to be loyal, in these exercises of
a blind man, to the example of Wells: the conjunction of a plain style,
sometimes almost oral, and an impossible argument." The collection is
notable for several of its stories, including "The Congress" of which
Borges said: "If of all my stories I had to save one, I would probably save
the "The Congress", which at the same time is the most autobiographical
(the one richest in memories) and the most imaginative." Signed copies of
the book are extraordinarily scarce to the market. A Fine copy of the
UNCORRECTED PROOF FOR ONE OF JORGE LUIS BORGES' MOST IMPORTANT WORKS,
SIGNED BY JORGE LUIS BORGES. RARE.                    Fine. Wrappers.
(#00003763) *WAS **$1,250.00   NOW $395.00*

*Seferis, George* [Seferiádēs, Geōrgios; Seferis, Giorgos]. *Poemes de
Georges Seferis* [*Signed*; Signee]. Paris & Bruges: Les Presses du
Compagnonnage / Edition Rombaldi (la Collection des prix Nobel de
littérature), 1967. First edition (later printing). A Very Good + copy of
the first edition thus, in the Publisher's original decorated faux vellum
over boards (minor handling soil, slight darkening to the spine and board
edges, light curve to the boards), SIGNED BY GEORGE SEFERIS beneath his
portrait on page 24; a tribute to George Seferis' winning of the 1963 Nobel
Prize in Literature for "his eminent lyrical writing, inspired by a deep
feeling for the Hellenic world of culture". George Seferis, a Greek
Diplomat and Ambassador to the UK, and one of the Twentieth Century's most
important Greek Poets, was the first Greek ever to receive the Nobel Prize
in Literature. With 6 full-page illustrations within, and a cover
illustration by Picasso, all commissioned especially for this tribute
publication, the elegant volume contains poetry by Seferis written prior to
his winning the Prize (1963). [Text in French.] Works signed by George
Seferis are quite scarce to the market. This book itself is quite uncommon
and signed copies are exceedingly so. A Very Good + copy, SIGNED BY GEORGE
SEFERIS. SCARCE to RARE. Very Good +. Hardcover. (#00003318) *WAS **$1,350.00
 NOW $475*

*Trollope, Anthony*. *Barchester Towers*. London: Longman, Brown, Green,
Longmans, & Roberts, 1857. First edition. A Very Good copy of the first
edition, first printing (with "tattooed" for "tabooed" on page 269, line 24
in Volume II) in three Volumes, rebound in three-quarter blue leather with
complementary blue boards, spines lined, lettered, and dated in gilt,
boards lined in gilt, and the top edge of each closed page block gilded as
well, showing some edge rubbing to each Volume - particularly to the
leading edges of Volumes I and III, complete with the half-title to Volume
I (no half-title is called for in Volumes II and III) and bound without the
advertisement of "The Warden" at the front of, and without single leaf of
Publisher's advertisements at the rear of, Volume I. (Sadleir mentions that
some copies contain a 32 page catalogue at the end of Volume I and that
some copies were bound without such a catalogue -- this copy has no such
catalogue.) "Barchester Towers" is Trollope's fifth book and the second
title in his famed Barchester series of six books [The Warden (1855),
Barchester Towers (1857), Doctor Thorne (1858), Framley Parsonage (1861),
The Small House at Allington (1864), and The Last Chronicle of Barset
(1867)]. Set in Trollope's fictional town of Barchester, itself lying
within his fictional Barsetshire, the novel provides a delightful satire of
clerical life. Of the novel, Trollope wrote in his Autobiography: "In the
writing of Barchester Towers I took great delight. The Bishop and Mrs.
Proudie were very real to me, as were also the troubles of the archdeacon
and the loves of Mr. Slope." Walpole said of the work: "...it remains as
perhaps the [in italics] type of novel of all the Trollope family. It is
the one book of them all that you would give to someone who said to you,
'Now what is Trollope really like [in italics]? What is [in italics] the
point about Trollope?' This book introduces and exults over one of the
greatest figures in the Barsetshire Chronicles - Mrs. Proudie....The
theme...is one eternally attractive - the theme of the bitter bit, the
bully bullied, the war between tyrants." A Very Good copy of the first
edition of one of Trollope's most important and lasting novels. Very Good.
Hardcover. (#00004463) *WAS **$2,650.00   NOW $675*

Stephen Johnson
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC
Rare and Collectible Books, both Antiquarian and Modern
www.allingtonbooks.com