[Rarebooks] FA: Seven Great Monarchies Ancient World Rawlinson 3 v. set 1889 Middle East 7 maps

books at hasbeanebooks.com books at hasbeanebooks.com
Sat Mar 5 10:38:19 EST 2016

Good morning,
Our ebay auction ends tomorrow morning.  If not sold, I'm keeping these
beautiful volumes for myself! If you don't know this set, please take a
look:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291695925846?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Happy weekend!  Karen Cinquemani

The Seven Great Monarchies of the Ancient Eastern World; or, The History,
Geography, and Antiquities of Chaldea, Assyria, Babylon, Media, Persia,
Parthia, and Sassanian, or New Persian Empire.  3 Volumes by George
Rawlinson, M.A. (1812-1902) Camden Professor of Ancient History in the
University of Oxford,
Chicago, New York, San Francisco: Belford, Clarke & Co., no date
[1888-1889 reprint of the Second Edition] I: xxvi, 596 pp. inc. notes, 2
fold-out maps, 458 illustrations on full page plates. II: 675 pp. inc.
notes, 2 fold-out maps, 196 illus. III: 729 pp. inc. notes & index, 3
fold-out maps, 2 colored plates, 104 illus.  Dark forest green cloth with
gilt spine titles and gilt rules. Brown floral endpapers.

Please note:  As well as seven fold-out maps, there are more than 750
illustrations of clothing, implements, furniture and domestic life,
military including weapons and chariots, animals, and all aspects of
ancient civilization in the Middle East throughout these volumes--a
wonderful reference for young and old.

Very Good+ complete set (a bit of shelf rub on boards; some foxing of
title page vol. I, paper side edge s/w foxed; paper moderately
age-toned--not foxed; 1" gouge on rear blank vol. II which left scratch on
folded map--no loss) Exceptionally clean, tight set. All maps fine as are
colored plates and numerous b&w illustrations.  Neat inscription on first
blank of vol. I: "George from Uncle Charley Xmas 1889"--One can see George
treasured this gift!
--
H.A.S. Beane Books
Firehouse Plaza