[Rarebooks] FS: BILLY THE KID: Michael Ondaatje INSCRIBED with Letter to Director Arthur Penn

Charles Agvent charles at charlesagvent.com
Tue Apr 16 09:50:49 EDT 2019

ONDAATJE, Michael (Arthur Penn). THE COLLECTED WORKS OF BILLY THE KID.
LEFT HANDED POEMS with AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). [Toronto]: Anansi,
1970. First Edition. Wraps issue published simultaneously with the
hardcover issue, this being the first state without the award statement.
A superb Association Copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author to film
director Arthur Penn: "who has his own painful/beautiful [crossed out]
version/Michael Ondaatje/Feb. 71." Laid in is a full-page AUTOGRAPH
LETTER SIGNED (ALS) by Ondaatje to Penn also dated Feb. 1971. In part:
"One of the first movies I remember as a teenager was Left Handed Gun.
Tho I didn't then know who directed, acted, etc. It was only a long time
later when watching it and the moon shooting scene came up that I found
out it was your work + I realized it had been for some time part of my
blood. So at some moments my version of Billy's story is made up of what
I remember of your version-- I have two tales of Charlie's death, one
yours...." About Fine.

Arthur Penn's first feature film was THE LEFT HANDED GUN, starring Paul
Newman in a role meant for James Dean. Penn is better known for his
later work: BONNIE AND CLYDE, THE MIRACLE WORKER, ALICE'S RESTAURANT,
and others. (#019154)        $5,000.00

https://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/019154.html

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $11.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

CHARLES AGVENT

37 Ridge Drive

Fleetwood, PA 19522-9638

484-575-8825